Did you know that vitamin-C-rich foods such as oranges enhance iron absorption?
…You did? Okay.
And many of us could use a little boost. According to the World Health Organization, 2 billion people – more than 30% of the world’s population (!!!) – are anemic. (Iron-deficiency anemia is a common type of anemia.)
You know what that means? It means you need this iron-boosting orange green smoothie in your life!
Especially if you are a woman, pregnant (or both), a child or a cute baby.
Which reminds me of why I created this smoothie in the first place…
Like most moms, much of my life revolves around my baby’s food intake. It’s an obsession, really.
“Is she eating enough?”
“Is she getting all the nutrients she needs?”
And since iron stores start to deplete at 6 months, “Is she getting enough iron?” This one especially plagues my mind.
I offer her iron-rich foods, but since she’d much rather see said foods splatter on the floor or decorate the walls, and is currently eyeing anything in my cup/glass/mug, I thought of the perfect solution — green smoothies!
I set out to create a smoothie with foods that provide iron: spinach and chia seeds, and pair them with foods that enhance iron absorption: orange juice and yogurt…and Viola!
The creamy base of banana, the refreshing taste of citrus with the slight tartness of the yogurt….This smoothie is packed with nutrition and a treat for everyone, iron deficient or not.
More Vegan/Vegetarian Iron-Rich recipes:
If you try this recipe, please let me know in the comments below and tag me on Instagram so I can see your creations. I love hearing from you!
Iron-Boosting Orange Green Smoothie
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- 1/2 ripe banana previously frozen
- 1 tangerine or small navel orange around 125-135 grams, peeled
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1/4 cup plain yogurt (optional)*
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 3 ice cubes
- 1/2 Medjool date (optional – add if needed)
- Add all ingredients except the date to a blender and blend until smooth. Add a half of a Medjool date if more sweetness is desired and blend again. Add additional ice cubes as necessary to thicken and cool. Serve immediately.