Hello friend! Thanks for stopping by! I’m Izzah, and I look forward to brightening your day with good food and good vibes.
In late 2016, I started Tea for Turmeric on a whim because I’ve always loved cooking & writing. Two years later, Tea for Turmeric was lucky to be a finalist for the Saveur Blog Awards in the Most Inspired Weeknight Dinners category. Since then, with the help of a small team of amazing people, it’s grown to millions of views a year. I’m dedicated to giving you some of the BEST South Asian recipes on the internet.
What You’ll Find on Tea for Turmeric
This is, first and foremost, a Pakistani food blog. The recipes are largely influenced by my Pakistani heritage and the type of food I’ve experienced as a Pakistani-American. Given the natural overlap between Pakistani and Indian food, you’ll also find plenty of Punjabi and North Indian recipes.
Some popular recipes:
I found your site a few months ago and I have now tried 3 different recipes, this one being one of them. I am not exaggerating when I say every single one has been incredible. Balanced, easy to understand, and absolutely delicious. I’ve since forwarded your site to 4 different people who have asked about the food I cooked following your recipes. I can’t praise your recipes enough! Thank you so much for sharing them with us!Annie
Easy-to-follow, Authentic Recipes
I truly love hearing when readers say my recipes are easy-to-follow yet taste authentic. I test & perfect (or more accurately, obsess over) my recipes so that they not only work, but taste amazing every time.
P.S. I know the word authentic is sort of controversial in the food-writing world. But I often use it to signal when a recipe is cooked using traditional ingredients and methods. In calling a recipe authentic, I’m not at all implying that my way is the correct or only way of making it. That’s quite a burden. 😉
Healthy, Whole Food Recipes
South Asian cuisine naturally incorporates whole, healthful foods, and I try to make traditional dishes even healthier on this blog. You can expect:
- A wide range of vegan, vegetarian, and gluten-free recipes (my husband has celiac).
- Homemade spice mixes for recipes like Shami Kabab, Haleem, and Nihari (with option of using store-bought if you’d like!).
- Made-from-scratch recipes that you feel good eating.
A Modern Approach
I’m passionate about leveling up and making South Asian cooking easy and accessible. That means:
- High-quality, reliable recipes that won’t stress you out.
- No unnecessary steps or making things harder than they need to be.
- Shortcuts (like using an Instant Pot), but no cutting corners (still have to brown the onions for classic chicken curry!).
- Using the right tools to make cooking easier.
“Best Pakistani and Indian recipes I’ve found online!”Sacha
More About Me
- I’m a full-time mom to two adorable kids, ages 5 and 2.
- I grew up in Wichita, KS (insert Dorothy joke) with only 1 Indian restaurant.😅 I now (very gratefully) live in the Houston, TX area, where I can sample some of the best South Asian food outside of Pakistan & India.
- When I’m not testing recipes or running around after my kids, I love reading, learning new things, and having good conversations with family and friends.
Stay in Touch!
When I check my email in the morning, the first thing I do is scan to see if I’ve received any comments or messages from YOU! Blogging without hearing from you would be quite dull indeed. Please feel free to get in touch by leaving a comment or sending me an email.