Pan-Fried Pakistani Pakora
This is my healthier spin on the traditionally deep-fried Pakistani/Punjabi pakora (onion and potato fritter). These pakoras are an ideal snack, naturally gluten-free and vegetarian, and I've included a simple green chutney recipe to go with them!
- 1 small red or yellow onion or half large, thinly sliced into quarter moons
- 1 small potato* or half large, peeled and thinly sliced into quarter moons
- 1/2 Serrano pepper slit, seeds removed and finely chopped
- 1 tbsp cilantro leaves chopped
- 1 tbsp mint leaves chopped (or sub more cilantro leaves)
- ½ tbsp neutral oil may omit but this makes them extra moist
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 ½ tsp whole coriander seeds roughly crushed using a mortar and pestle
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp crushed red chili flakes
- 1 1/8 tsp salt or to taste
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- scant 1 cup chickpea flour (gram flour/besan)
- 2/3 - 3/4 cup water
- neutral oil such as grapeseed or avocado as needed for pan frying
- 1/4 tsp whole carom seeds ajwain, roughly crushed using a mortar and pestle
- ½ tbsp dry fenugreek leaves methi, crushed between the palms of your hands
- 1/4 tsp red chili powder for extra spice
Simple Green Chutney
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaves
- 1/2 cup mint leaves (or sub more cilantro)
- 1/2 small Serrano or other green chili pepper to taste
- black salt (or sub regular salt) to taste
- 1/2 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tbsp plain yogurt optional
Combine all the ingredients up until the chickpea flour in a bowl.
In another bowl, add the chickpea flour and 2/3 cup water and stir to combine so that no large lumps remain (small lumps are okay). Add additional water if needed to have a pourable consistency. Pour this mixture into the vegetables and mix well.
Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Once hot, add enough oil to thinly coat the bottom of the pan. Add the pakora mixture a heaped tablespoon at a time, making sure not to overcrowd the pan (I do 4 at a time). Reduce the heat to medium and cook for 3-4 minutes on each side, adding oil as needed. Repeat until all pakoras are cooked. Place on a plate topped with paper towels to absorb excess oil. Serve with green chutney (recipe in the notes) and/or ketchup. To prepare the simple green chutney, add all ingredients in a spice/coffee grinder or blender and blend until smooth. Add water as needed to thin it out. Put the mixture in a bowl and whisk with yogurt, if desired.
Be sure to slice the potatoes thin for faster cooking!
*For the chutney, you can also double the quantity of cilantro or mint and omit the other.
Calories: 135kcal | Carbohydrates: 21g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 3g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 1mg | Sodium: 518mg | Potassium: 390mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 360IU | Vitamin C: 11mg | Calcium: 47mg | Iron: 2mg