Aloo Keema (Ground Beef and Potato Curry)
Here's a recipe for an authentic, homestyle, Pakistani & North Indian style Ground Beef and Potato curry - Aloo Keema. This is a traditional, one-pot recipe that's simple, easy-to make, and gives the most flavorful results!
- ¼ cup neutral oil (I use grapeseed or avocado)
- 1 2-inch cinnamon stick
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 3 whole cloves
- 1/2 tsp coriander seeds optional
- ½ tsp whole black peppercorns
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 5-6 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 inch piece ginger crushed
- 1 lb ground beef lean and full-fat both work, though lean is a bit more dry
- 1 medium to large tomato (or 2 small) finely chopped
- 1-2 Serrano or Thai chili peppers sliced
- 2 tsp tomato paste optional
- 2 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 3/4 tsp turmeric powder
- ¼ red chilli powder or to taste
- ¼ tsp red chili flakes
- 1/4 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 tsp kosher salt or to taste
- 2 tbsp plain, whole milk yogurt
- 1 russet potato peeled and cubed*
- 1/8 to 1/4 tsp ground garam masala optional
- 1/2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 tbsp cilantro leaves chopped
Heat a heavy-bottomed pan over medium-high heat. Once hot, add the oil, whole spices, and onions and sauté until the onions are slightly brown, about 8 minutes.
Add the garlic and ginger and sauté for 30 seconds. Then add ground beef and cook, stirring often, until it changes color and most of the moisture dries up, about 4-5 minutes. Use a wooden spatula to break up the beef into small pieces to ensure no lumps.
Add the remaining ingredients listed under curry and sauté for 4-5 minutes, or until the tomatoes start to break down and the potato softens. Add 2 tablespoons of water and stir.
Lower the heat to a little higher than the lowest setting, cover, and allow it to cook for 25 minutes, stirring a few times in between. The potatoes will be very tender.
Turn off the heat and add in the cilantro leaves, lemon juice and sprinkle garam masala (if using). Give it a quick stir and serve hot with rice, roti, naan, or any type of bread.
*Place the cubed potato in a bowl of water to prevent browning.
Also, see Recipe Notes within text.
Calories: 495kcal | Carbohydrates: 18g | Protein: 22g | Fat: 37g | Saturated Fat: 10g | Cholesterol: 82mg | Sodium: 988mg | Potassium: 742mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 352IU | Vitamin C: 13mg | Calcium: 72mg | Iron: 4mg