Easy Baingan Bharta (Oven Roasted Vegan Eggplant Curry)
Baingan Bharta is a prized Indian and Pakistani dish. It consists of fire-roasted eggplant in a delicately spiced dry curry. This recipe includes oven and grill instructions, plus some essential tips on how to get it right.
- 2 small globe variety eggplants (about 1000 grams in total)
- 3 tbsp ghee
- 2 tbsp neutral oil such as canola or grapeseed
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves crushed
- 1/2- inch piece ginger crushed
- 2 small tomatoes finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp heaped salt or more to taste
- 1 tsp paprika powder regular or smoked
- 1/2 red chili powder or more to taste
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp brown sugar optional
- 1 small green chili pepper sliced or chopped
- 1 tbsp chopped cilantro
- 1/2 tsp juice of freshly squeezed lemon
- 1/4 tsp garam masala optional
Set your oven rack so that your eggplants will be as close as possible to the heat source. Preheat your broiler on High, and roast the eggplants on a sheet pan for about 30 minutes, turning midway. The skin will blacken and the eggplant will burst a little.
Once the eggplant cools down (you can place it in a bowl of water to speed this up) peel the blackened skin, remove the stem and coarsely mash its flesh. I like to do this using the "pulse" function of my food processor. Set aside.
Calories: 294kcal | Carbohydrates: 18g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 25g | Saturated Fat: 10g | Cholesterol: 38mg | Sodium: 380mg | Potassium: 388mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 9g | Vitamin A: 1061IU | Vitamin C: 23mg | Calcium: 41mg | Iron: 1mg