Instant Pot Keema Lobia (Ground Beef and Black Eyed Peas Curry)
This spicy and delectable Instant Pot Keema Lobia curry comes together quickly and easily and has a unique, homestyle Punjabi taste.
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 25 minutes
Total Time 30 minutes
To Pressure Cook:
- 1 medium to large onion cut into wedges
- 2 small tomatoes cut into wedges
- 5-6 cloves garlic cut into a couple pieces
- 1 lb ground beef both lean and full fat work
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 ½-2 tsp mild red chilli powder or to taste
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 1/2 tsp salt or to taste
After Pressure Cooking:
- ¼ cup neutral oil
- 1-1 ½ cups cooked black eyed peas
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- ½ tsp garam masala
- 1 green chili or Serrano pepper finely chopped
- 1 inch ginger chopped or julienned
- 2 tbsp cilantro leaves chopped
- ½-1 tsp freshly squeezed lemon juice optional
Add the onion, tomatoes, and garlic in the food processor and pulse to chop until a coarse mixture forms.
Heat the Instant Pot to high sauté mode. Add the onion mixture, ground beef, cumin seeds, spice powders, and salt. Sauté on high setting for 2-3 minutes. You will notice that the mixture has started to release water.
Cover and pressure-cook on high for 15 minutes. You do not need to add water.
Allow the pressure to naturally release for 5 minutes, then manually release any remaining pressure. Sauté again on high for 5-7 minutes or until most of the water evaporates.
Add the ingredients listed under ‘After Pressure Cooking’ continue to Sauté on high for another 2-3 minutes. Adjust salt and spices as desired. Cancel the Sauté function and add cilantro leaves and lemon juice.