Chana Masala (Authentic Chickpea Curry)
This is an easy, everyday Chana Masala recipe that's made in the authentic North Indian and Pakistani style. It's naturally vegan and gluten-free, and full of vibrant flavor in every bite!
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 30 minutes
Total Time 45 minutes
Servings 4 people
- 1/4 cup neutral oil such as avocado or grapeseed
- 3/4 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 4-5 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 inch piece ginger crushed
- 1 small green chili pepper sliced or chopped
- 2 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp paprika powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/4 tsp mild red chili powder
- 2 medium tomatoes finely chopped
- 2 cans about 15-oz chickpeas rinsed and drained
- 1 1/4 tsp salt or to taste
- 1/4 tsp baking powder (optional - for extra tender chickpeas)
- 1/2 tsp garam masala or chaat masala
- 1 tsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2-3 tbsp cilantro leaves chopped
Heat a medium-sized saucepan over medium-high heat. Once hot, add the oil, cumin seeds and onion and sauté for 7-8 minutes, until golden. If the mixture gets dry, add 1-2 tablespoons of water.
Add the garlic, ginger, and green chili pepper and sauté for another 2-3 minutes. Deglaze the pan with a tablespoon of water (if needed), and add the spice powders and give it a few stirs. Add the tomatoes and continue to stir for a minute. Mix in the chickpeas, baking powder (if using), salt, and 2 cups of water.
Raise the heat to high to bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium, cover and let cook for 25-30 minutes, until the chickpeas are very tender.
Uncover and raise the heat to high. Use a wooden spoon or spatula to slightly crush the chickpeas. Sauté for another 2-3 minutes to desired consistency. Taste and adjust salt and seasoning. Turn off the heat and add the garam masala or chaat masala, lemon juice, and cilantro leaves.