20 Minute Coconut Lime Chicken Curry
This 20-minute Coconut Lime Chicken Curry is incredibly quick and easy, yet flavorful and healthy.
For the Curry
- 2 tbsp regular or refined coconut oil
- 1 green chili pepper slit in half and deseeded
- 2-3 cloves garlic crushed
- ½ inch piece ginger crushed
- 1 chicken breast or tenders about 400 grams, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/2 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- scant 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/8 tsp black pepper powder
- generous pinch red chili powder or cayenne
- 1 13.5-14 oz. can unsweetened coconut milk
- salt to taste (be on the generous side)
- Zest of 1 medium lime
- Juice of 1 medium lime or more to taste
- 2 tbsp cilantro chopped
(Optional Step) Place the chicken in a strainer or colander and sprinkle it with baking soda. Mix well and let this mixture marinate for about 20 minutes. Rinse the chicken thoroughly, ensuring it's completely free of any baking soda. Set aside.
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the slit green chili pepper and sauté for about a minute. Add the garlic and ginger and sauté until the raw smell disappears, or about 20-30 seconds.
Raise the heat to medium-high and add the chicken, spices and salt and cook, stirring frequently, until it is half cooked or begins to brown, about 5 minutes.
Add the coconut milk and let it come to a simmer. Cover and let this cook for about 5 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through. Turn off the heat and add the lime zest and juice. Garnish with chopped cilantro and serve over white or brown rice. Enjoy!