Date-Sweetened Avocado Chocolate Mousse
This gluten-free, optionally vegan, date-sweetened avocado chocolate mousse is quick and easy to prepare, and makes a decadent, yet good-for-you dessert! This is a great way for kids to enjoy a sweet treat some healthy fats!
Prep Time 10 minutes
Total Time 10 minutes
Servings 3 -4
- 2 medium ripe avocados pitted and peeled
- 4 oz semi-sweet chocolate (60-70%) chopped or broken into small pieces
- 3 tbsp unsweetened cacao or cocoa powder
- 1/4-1/3 cup milk* dairy, soy, and almond all work well
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 small soft** medjool date, broken into a few pieces
- Fresh fruit such as cherries (for garnish)
Microwave the chopped chocolate in 15 second increments, stirring each time to ensure that it melts evenly. When it is almost completely melted, remove from the microwave and set aside.
In a food processor, add the avocados, melted chocolate, and the rest of the ingredients (cacao powder, milk, medjool date, vanilla extract, and salt). Blend until completely smooth and creamy with no avocado or date pieces remaining. For a more pudding-like consistency, add more milk.*
Serve immediately or chilled with fresh fruit. Once refrigerated, it will take on a more mousse-like consistency.
*The quantity of milk will help determine the texture of your mousse. Start with 1/4 cup, and add more milk if you would like a creamier, pudding-like consistency.
**If your medjool date is not soft, try soaking it in hot water for 15 minutes.