Authentic Turmeric Milk Tea - Golden Milk
Turmeric Milk (haldi ka doodh) recipe is an ancient Ayurvedic drink that's known for it's anti-inflammatory properties. This recipe is optimized for absorption and tastes perfectly sweet, rich, yet light and comforting.
- 1 cup whole milk almond, soy or coconut also work well though milk is traditionally used
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4-1/2 tsp turmeric powder*
- thin slice fresh ginger* optional
- 1 whole green cardamom slightly broken
- 1 clove
- 1/2 inch piece cinnamon stick
- 2-3 black peppercorns
- 1 leaf of a star anise
- 1/4 vanilla bean (scraped) or 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp coconut oil or ghee optional
- 1 tsp honey, jaggery (gud), or sweetener of choice
In a saucepan over medium-high heat, bring all of the ingredients except coconut oil/ghee and sweetener to a simmer.
Stir well and lower the heat to a low or low-medium (you want it to simmer but not boil). Cover with the lid ajar and allow the milk to simmer for 5 minutes or more depending on how strong you want the flavor of the spices.
Turn off the heat and strain into your cup. Add coconut oil/ghee (if using) as well as your sweetener. Delight in the warmth and comfort of therapeutic golden milk.
*You can increase up to 1 tsp, but if you're trying it for the first time or you'll be drinking it often, use 1/4-1/2 tsp.
*Ginger isn't an ingredient I grew up drinking in turmeric milk. I recently tried it and loved it and it also boosts the healing properties of turmeric milk.