Coconut Chicken Curry with Potatoes (made without paste!)
This easy and flavorful Chicken Curry is made with coconut milk and potatoes. It’s simple to make, yet results in a deeply flavorful curry that the whole family will love!
“We are IN LOVE with this recipe! It is such a delectable and warm blend of flavours; pure comfort food for me! Thank you Izzah for this simple and delicious addition to our menu!”Naba
What is Coconut Chicken Curry with Potatoes
This coconut chicken curry is less ‘Thai’ and more ‘South Asian’ in that the spices and method is similar to a Pakistani and North Indian chicken curry. This curry uses no curry paste, just a handful of spices.
But, the bit of browning the onions and scouring the spice cabinet will be worth it because this curry is deeply flavorful and spicy (not thai-hot spicy but the more muted, South Asian-style spicy) while still being light and healthy.
How to serve Coconut Chicken Curry with Potatoes
Feel free to use any veggies you’d like and adjust the spice level to taste. This goes perfectly with white rice which soaks up the sauce and serves as a blank canvas to absorb the flavors.
If you try this recipe, be sure to let me know in the comments below and/or tag me on Instagram! I love seeing your creations!
More chicken recipes you may like:
Coconut Chicken Curry with Potatoes
- 1 lb boneless chicken breasts or thighs, cut into 1″cubes
- 2 tbsp refined coconut oil or other neutral oil
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 small (~2 inch) cinnamon stick
- 2 green cardamom pods, optional
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/2 inch (~1/2 tbsp) piece of ginger, crushed
- 1 green chili pepper, slit in half lengthwise
- 1 medium tomato, roughly chopped
- 1 medium to large russet potato, peeled and cubed into 1" cubes
- 1 green bell pepper, cubed
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 – 1 tsp red chilli flakes, 1/4 will be mild
- 1 1/2 tsp kosher salt, or to taste
- 1 14-oz can unsweetened full fat coconut milk
- 1/4 cup plain whole milk yogurt
- 2 tbsp cilantro leaves, chopped
- Heat a large non-stick sauté pan over medium-high heat and add the oil. Once hot, add the whole cumin seeds, cinnamon stick, and cardamom pods, if using. Let these spices splutter and immediately add the onions. Sauté until lightly browned, about 7-8 minutes. If needed, deglaze the pan with 1-2 tbsp of water and allow the water to evaporate.
- Add the garlic and ginger and cook for 30 seconds or until the raw smell disappears. Add the green chili pepper, tomatoes and sauté for 2-3 minutes until the tomatoes become soft. Add the potato, green bell pepper, spice powders (coriander, cumin, turmeric, black pepper, and red chili flakes) and salt and stir.
- Increase the heat to high. Add the chicken and stir-fry for 3-4 minutes or until the chicken changes color. Add the coconut milk and yogurt and bring the mixture to a light boil.
- Lower the heat to low-medium, cover and allow to simmer for 15-16 minutes, or until the chicken is tender and vegetables are cooked through. Uncover and raise the heat to allow the sauce to thicken for 2-3 minutes, if desired.
- Taste and adjust salt and seasoning. Garnish with chopped cilantro and serve with white basmati rice.