These lightly spiced Baked Honey Lemon Sweet potato fries are an easy and healthy snack, side dish, or appetizer that the whole family will love.
Just another Baked Sweet Potato Fries Recipe?
I usually hesitate to give recipes that the internet is saturated with. Like Baked Sweet Potato Fries. I mean, really…who will want my recipe for sweet potato fries when you have New York Times, Food Network, and AllRecipes.com giving you wonderful ones?
Well, there’s one difference. These sweet potato fries are coated in my special honey-lemon sauce that has a simultaneous kick of sweet and spice. Someone out there could be craving just this. I wouldn’t want them to miss out. And does NYT or Food Network or anyone else for that matter have a recipe like these sweet, spicy, tangy aka seriously savory sweet potato fries?
Nope. I checked.
So here you are, internet. Baked Honey Lemon Sweet Potato Fries.
About these Baked Honey Lemon Sweet Potato Fries
This is one of those recipes that I’ve made so often, eyeballing everything as I go, that it was particularly difficult to capture a recipe for it. Measuring out ingredients can sometimes interfere with your inner chef-like ninja skills. But it has to be done. Because ratios are important and recipes are meant to be shared.
The reason I make these often is because my daughter loves fries, any and all kinds. Since sweet potatoes are packed with nutrients, baked sweet potato fries are a win-win snack.
I don’t add potato/corn starch like several recipes do for extra crunch simply because I feel that baking them at a high temperature makes them crunchy enough, and the extra starch is just not worth it to me since I usually make these for my daughter and want them to be as healthy as possible. Also, no matter how crunchy they get, they lose the crunch as they cool. So these are meant to be devoured pretty quickly, which shouldn’t be a problem since this recipe is delicious and only uses 2 sweet potatoes (one sheet pan).
More Kid-Friendly Recipes that pack in nutrients:
- Creamy Avocado Pudding
- Blueberry Banana Blender Muffins
- Easy Flourless Chocolate Chip Nut Squares
- Iron-Boosting Orange Green Smoothie
- Coconut Raspberry Cacao Bliss Balls
- 5-Minute Chocolate Energy Bars
Baked Honey Lemon Sweet Potato Fries
- 2 medium sweet potatoes around 400-500 grams
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- scant 1 tbsp honey
- scant 1/2 tbsp lemon juice or to taste
- 1/2 tsp salt or to taste
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp black peppercorns freshly ground
- 1/4 tsp oregano
- Heat the oven to 450.
- Peel and cut the sweet potatoes into sticks around 1/4 wide and 3-4 inches long. Place them in a bowl and toss with the oil and mix. Then add honey, lemon juice, salt, and spices.
- Spread them out evenly on a parchment or aluminum foil-lined (coat with oil if you use aluminum) baking sheet. Make sure not to overcrowd the fries.
- Bake until brown and crisp on the bottom, about 15 minutes, then use tongs to turn them over. I usually just mix them up a bit and flatten them out again.
- Then bake them again, about 12-13 minutes, until fully cooked and crisp. Keep an eye toward the end because they tend to burn quickly because of the naturally occurring sugars. Serve immediately. The fries begin to lose crisp as they cool.