FLUFFY, MOIST, PERFECT GLUTEN-FREE BLUEBERRY PANCAKES
This is a traditional-style gluten-free blueberry pancake recipe that is perfect for your weekend breakfast or brunch.
I love Sunday mornings. They’re full of slow, sweet moments that make you pause and reflect on life.
There’s this stillness to Sunday mornings. It allows me to be oddly calm. I’m grateful, blissful even. And I always, always prefer a good breakfast.
That means we’re going out for brunch, or we’re making a luxurious breakfast. At the very least, I’d like something different. No toast with jam today, please.
On Gluten-Free Pancakes
When we do go out for brunch, gluten-free pancakes are usually in order. We’ve had many, so we know a good one when we taste it. And I must say, this is a good one.
At the risk of sounding like a complete pancake snob, I find most gluten-free pancakes are either: dry and stiff, too moist to the point that they taste soggy, lacking in texture, lacking in fluff, or all of the above, if that’s possible.
With plenty of experimentation and trial and error, I created this go-to pancake recipe.
It’s our Sunday morning indulgence pancake, cooked with a bit of butter and topped with a slathering of maple syrup and more butter (I skip the latter, personally).
I hope it beautifies your weekend morning just as it does ours.
More Gluten-Free Breakfast Recipes:
- Traditional Turkish Menemen
- Blueberry Banana Blender Muffins
- Date-Sweetened Slow Cooker Steel Cut Oats
Gluten-Free Blueberry Pancakes
This gluten-free blueberry pancakes recipe is perfect for a weekend brunch and is also a great recipe for kids!
- 1 1/2 tablespoon vinegar
- 1 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup gluten-free multi-purpose flour without xanthan gum – I use King Arthur
- 1/4 cup blanched almond flour
- 1/4 cup buckwheat flour
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp xanthan gum
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons grapeseed or avocado oil
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup blueberries
- salted butter for preparing the pancakes
- 100% pure maple syrup for serving
- Pour the vinegar and milk in a large bowl. Set aside for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, a medium bowl, mix the all the dry ingredients (gluten-free multi-purpose flour, almond flour, buckwheat flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, xanthan gum, and salt).
To the milk and vinegar mixture, add the egg, oil, and vanilla extract and whisk until foamy. Add in the dry ingredient mixture, bit by bit, and mix just until blended.
- Let this batter rest for 7-10 minutes. This will help make the pancakes fluffier.
Heat two small frying pans over medium heat. Brush lightly with butter. For each pancake, drop a 1/4 cup of batter and spread it out so that it forms a round shape. Top with blueberries.
Let the base set for a minute or two, then flip with a spatula and cook for 2-3 minutes on the other side. Butter the pan before each new pancake. Lower the heat as needed during the process. Serve immediately with maple syrup.