It’s been a little silent on the blog this past month.
A trip to Thailand and Pakistan, and upon return – evening classes, readjustment, and night wakings (due to things like baby, jet lag and pondering over Donnie’s presidency) have all kept me preoccupied.
But, though my blog has been silent, my mind has not. I’ve been wanting to share so much…about my trip overseas, tips on traveling with a baby, and most of all, recipes!
One such recipe is this Avocado Chocolate Mousse.
It’s not often you find a quick and easy, decadent dessert that is completely guilt-free. And if it involves chocolate, one simply must take advantage.
This recipe is called avocado chocolate mousse, but the avocado is hardly detectable. According to my husband’s taste test: 1 – he liked this mousse better than the chocolate mousse we both made in a couple’s cooking class (though that recipe involved double broiling and egg white whipping) and 2 – he didn’t notice any avocado. When I told him, he noted, “yes maybe, a slight hint, now that you mention it.” Maybe I shouldn’t have mentioned it.
But let’s not be mean to avocados. They are a great source of healthy fats, antioxidants, folate and potassium. Side tip on avocados – make sure to scoop them up well! The greenest parts near the skin have the most benefits.
You know what else is healthy?
Dark Chocolate! Studies continue to show that chocolate is good for the heart and contains potent antioxidants.
Cacao powder! It’s less processed and is basically chocolate without its natural fat.
Dates! Filled with fiber plus essential vitamins and minerals.
I hope I’ve convinced you to try this mousse. I’ve definitely convinced myself to get up and finish any remains in my refrigerator.
P.S. If you like easy, guilt-free chocolatey recipes, I’m sure you’ll enjoy these 5-Minute Chocolate Energy Bars!
Date-Sweetened Avocado Chocolate Mousse
This gluten-free, optionally vegan, date-sweetened avocado chocolate mousse is quick and easy to prepare, and makes a decadent, yet good-for-you dessert! This is a great way for kids to enjoy a sweet treat some healthy fats!
- 2 medium ripe avocados pitted and peeled
- 4 oz semi-sweet chocolate (60-70%) chopped or broken into small pieces
- 3 tbsp unsweetened cacao or cocoa powder
- 1/4-1/3 cup milk* dairy, soy, and almond all work well
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 small soft** medjool date, broken into a few pieces
- Fresh fruit such as cherries (for garnish)
- Microwave the chopped chocolate in 15 second increments, stirring each time to ensure that it melts evenly. When it is almost completely melted, remove from the microwave and set aside.
- In a food processor, add the avocados, melted chocolate, and the rest of the ingredients (cacao powder, milk, medjool date, vanilla extract, and salt). Blend until completely smooth and creamy with no avocado or date pieces remaining. For a more pudding-like consistency, add more milk.*
- Serve immediately or chilled with fresh fruit. Once refrigerated, it will take on a more mousse-like consistency.
*The quantity of milk will help determine the texture of your mousse. Start with 1/4 cup, and add more milk if you would like a creamier, pudding-like consistency.
**If your medjool date is not soft, try soaking it in hot water for 15 minutes.
Adapted from Well Plated.