When I was expecting, or ‘waiting for a child’ as they say in France, friends with babies would tell me how they haven’t gone to watch a movie in two or three years and I would kind of feel sorry for them (and my future self). Forget going to watch a movie, my husband and I finally watched a movie at home for the first time in 7 months (that’s about how old my daughter is). Actually, we did watch a couple documentaries during this time – ‘The Secret’ (in increments), and one about babies (is that sad?).
I must admit, this has less to do with lack of time and more to do with my neurotic self being uncomfortable with prolonged screen time for my baby. I do let her FaceTime quite a bit though (hey, the American Academy of Pediatrics says it’s okay). 😉
Anyway, back to the movie. We watched Disney’s ‘Zootopia’. It’s about an idealistic bunny, Judy, who leaves her family’s carrot farm and sets out to be a cop in a harmonious animal town called Zootopia. I’m sure many of you have already seen it and discussed it while I was busy practicing labor breathing techniques. But now that I saw it, I have to talk about how adorable it was. The movie touches on many important sociopolitical topics while Judy, with her determination and wit, leaves us feeling all warm and fuzzy (excuse the pun).
This is a simple and refreshing, citrusy carrot salad that is inspired by Persian cuisine, the movie ‘Zootopia’, and my love for good eyesight.
Zootopia Carrot Salad
- 1 bunch of small carrots about 5-6
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1/4 cup pomegranate or raisins
- 1/2 tsp salt or to taste
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 tsp parsley chopped
- Peel and grate the carrots in a food processor or by hand.
- Place the carrots in the serving bowl, add orange juice and mix. Cover and refrigerate so that the carrots soak in the orange juice for at least an hour.
- Add the olive oil, lemon juice and salt. Mix and add the pomegranate or raisins and sprinkle with chopped parsley.
- Serve cold.